Saturday, October 31, 2009

Birth Control Pill?

For the past several years, I have been taking my bcp continously every month in order to avoid getting my periods. Another words I do not take the sugar pill row, I just start another pack. This way I don't get my horrific period. Every few months I will take the sugar pill row and allow my period to come. My doctor prescibes the lowest dosage pill. The reason I started doing this is to avoid my period all together, I suffer fron horribe cramps and heavy flow which I've been checked for, the dr. says I'm ok its just normal for me. I haven't told my prmary dr that I do this for fear of getting fussed at and also embrassed. Do you think this is dangerous? I am 41yrs old so I won't be taking them much longer. I know that they are few brands on the market which work with the same concept. I had the idea 1st. Whats your opinon? tu
Answer:
You should let all of your doctors know what you are taking and how often. I'm sure if you explain your situation to your primary doctor they'll understand. Taking the pill continuously is not dangerous, especially because you take the sugar row occasionally.
I also did this way before the Seasonale thing also. There really isn't any medical reason why you HAVE to have your period, also, a pill period isn't a real period anyway. I do suggest speaking with your doctor about it though, or maybe consider going on a shot like Depo.
just tell the doctor. you never know what other problems might come from taking it continuously. you are probably ok, but do it just to cover your bases.
I think that trying to stop the natural body functions is very very bad. Like you said, you won't be having periods for long, so try and tough it out until it's time. Taking all these pills to try and stop your period could affect your health in the future. :(
I am glad to see I'm not the only one who takes the pill this way. And to all the people who say its bad for me - well I only had two other options: A.) Curl up in bed and cry in agony for ten days of the month, unable to work, cook or clean; or B.) Take so many prescription pain killers that by now my liver would be shot to h***.
What women do not realise is that the bleeding you get on the pill is NOT a period, it is a reaction to taking sugar pills instead of hormones, its a withdrawl symptom, hence it is called a withdrawl bleed not a period.
I wont go in to more detail as so many women get really angry at me when I give them the facts! But I will give you the best advice possible...go to this website. It is from the Mayo Clinic, a medical organisation respected around the globe for their decades of medical research and world class patient treatment.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/womens-...
Best of luck and be sure to read what is on this site. Dont be afraid to tell your doctor...this is your right to choose to do this and there is NO MEDICAL EVIDENCE to prove that the bleeding you get on the pill benefits your body in any way what so ever.
It is not normal to be suffering from cramps so horrible that you can't function. I would recommend getting a second opinion and preferably from someone that does not share the same office of the dr that you use as your gynecologist.

The debate about whether continuous is safe to use long term (and I use it for treating endometriosis) rages on but I would recommend telling your primary care physician just so that it's part of your medical record in case other issues could possibly come in to play in the future.

The idea of continuous birth control pills have been around for a while, about 30 year some years for the treating of medical issues such as endometriosis but as far as using it for the thing of not having a period just to not have one has only become popular within the last nearly 10 years. And this is also one of the reasons the debate continues to rage about how safe it is especially now with the fact that another pill has been approved to keep a woman from having her period a year at a time.

But because of those horrible cramps I would recommend seeing another gynecologist because it's very possible that you may be dealing with endometriosis.

To learn more about endometriosis please check out: http://www.endocenter.org

I have met a couple of women that did not get diagnosed with endometriosis till they were in their 40s.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Birth Control Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net