Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Birth control, but I have sickle cell disease??

Well, I have sickle cell DISEASE, not the trait. I wanna know are there any forms of birth control out there that's right for me. The doctor says I can't take any pills, shots, or patches. Is there any other short-term form of birth control that won't make me sick?? I think I can't take any pills, shots, or patches because of something in the hormones. Can you tell me if there is a form of birth control I can use, and why I can't take the pills, shots, or get the patch? Love Tyra!
Answer:
Get a second opinion. The idea that women with sickle cell disease cannot use birth control pills is outdated and didn't make any sense in the first place:

"In the United States, one widely-read handbook now agrees the disease does not contraindicate OC use. Many clinicians believe the evidence concerning adverse effects is too weak and the risks of pregnancy too high to deny OCs to women with sickle cell disease. "There are no controlled studies of increased complications occurring in patients with sickle cell disease who take oral contraceptives. For many women with sickle cell disease, oral contraceptives are the most acceptable and reliable method of decreasing the risk of unwanted pregnancies."

If you really can't use hormonal birth control, I would suggest a copper IUD.
Honey use the condom
hi tyra, yes there is something you can use that is a very safe alternative. it is called Natural Family Planning. It is not Catholic rhythm method but a very safe and reliable way to determine your fertility. it can be used for women who have serious illnesses or abnornmal cycles. It can be used to achieve/avoid a pregnancy.

My husband %26 I have been using it 10 yrs. successfully to avoid a pregnancy due to a blood clotting disorder I have. I am a very high risk should I become pregnant due to throwing clots %26 hemmorhaging.

We learned about NFP through a local hospital. A trained NFP instructor taught us correctly how to chart our fertility.

you have nothing to lose and so much to gain. the same can't be said about the pill. see the sites listed below to locate an NFP instructor or hospital that teaches it near you. Good luck and best of health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Birth Control Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net